View Single Post
Old 10-18-18, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
akane

Re: Live prey issues

I have a heck of a time finding ASF. Individual breeders are your best bet. I finally drove 3hrs to get my own breeding group but it's possible it's not even legal without a USDA license due to blanket restrictions on African rodents. I couldn't actually confirm a law on it for the state or county. I know a state over a ton of people breed them but the most consistent sources would be a 4hr drive to keep stocking up and the online sites sell out fast. I bred gerbils for awhile but smaller and usually only breed in pairs with inconsistent litters so I ended that and my wall of individual little cages it took.

You can get ASF scent from some places like reptilinks, which also sometimes carries ASF but I don't know shipping to Canada. I also found the vids on getting reptiles to take reptilinks useful for getting reptiles to take other prey sometimes. I did have a few of my colubrids eating links but now I just use the company for some of the lowest cost shipping and smallest minimum quantities of regular rodents when they aren't sold out. It proved a useful resource beyond their unique links that many snakes won't take.

I underfed size and increased frequency for live prey to reduce issues. That way it was less likely a bite would be serious and collecting a smaller rat if the snake doesn't kill it to dispatch yourself is less difficult and painful. Scared rats do deliver a nasty bite... Holding live rodents tends to just have them climbing back up their tails on to your tongs or hand in my experience. If the snake takes them practically instantly it might work and I know many that live feed numerous snakes like ball pythons generally have them snatching the rodents midair before they fully get them in the rack. Not so much for my snakes and sometimes they had to watch a rodent for several minutes before they'd take it. I'm glad after some fresh kill ASF everything is taking at least fresh kill and usually frozen of even rats or mice now.