Thread: Boa feeding
View Single Post
Old 09-22-18, 02:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
bigsnakegirl785

Re: Boa feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyx View Post
So, if I understand what you're saying, just because a snake is capable of taking a larger meal, doesn't necessarily mean they *should* be given the larger meal? I know their metabolisms are different but I just transitioned my 3'-ish, 430 gram BP from large mice to weaned rats every 9-10 days. I though that was appropriate but now I'm worried that I switched her too soon and am overfeeding her. Just when I think I've got this down something comes up I get all confused again.
Exactly what I'm saying!

I do want to add, most of my advice is coming from the assumption this is how the snake will eat every/most meals. I am not against giving a snake a large meal, so long as:

1) an appropriate amount of feeding days are skipped, or a reasonable amount of time is added between meals

2) that meal size is rare

I often help my boas along when they're between prey sizes by offering the larger size meal, then giving their normal-sized meal a few times before offering another large meal. Usually they put on enough size by the second time I offer the next size meal again. Even just a single large meal really jump starts their growth.

I feed my boa constrictors 10-14 days from birth. By the time they're eating smalls, I go 2-3 weeks. This is just personal preference. There is a lot of freedom in how you feed.

Your's is a bp, and their weight to length ratio is much different. My 3.5' bp is 1,200-1,400 grams depending on how well he eats. In my care, I give him a single small rat every 2 weeks. My 3.5' boas on the other hand are only about 400-500 grams. My boas don't reach/exceed 1,000 grams until they're about 4.5'. My 4' sunglow is still below 900 grams.

Boas also have lower metabolisms than bps, so don't compare them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyL View Post
I have always had BP. This is actually my first boa. I know when I was feeding her adult mice she was eating like every 10 days. So I switched to rats.. I always thought like with BP if they can swallow it they were good to go. I will cut back my feeding to every 3 weeks. Once She gets the entire meal digested which I feel she should have by today I will get her weighed to see exactly how much she is. Is there a % of body weight you use to figure out how big her meal should be then?
I do not feed based off weight, I feed based off girth.

For my meal sizes, that averages out to about 6-8% for babies, and 2-6% for adults. I try to max out at 10-11%, as that starts to leave a distended bulge.

A rat 10% the weight of an adult boa is bigger proportionate to girth than a rat/mouse 10% the weight of a baby boa. A mouse 10% of hatchling boa's girth might leave only a small bump. As the boa gets bigger, a meal 10% makes a bigger and bigger bump. I fed my 7' female a rat about 8-11% of her weight (8% at her original 13.5 lbs, 11% at my guesstimated weight of 10 lbs), to get her ready for winter feeding, and it left such a large bulge she looked gravid.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - RIP (Guin, Morzan, Sanji, and Homura - BRBs)