Thread: RIP Mittens.
View Single Post
Old 08-03-18, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
phenyx

Re: RIP Mittens.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't blame yourself. I'm a herp newbie myself, but over the years I've learned that animals, not just reptiles, can fail to thrive or die for all sorts of reasons, not all of them husbandry related. Sometimes you do all you can and it's just not enough. Even experienced keepers lose animals.

Do you have a reptile vet nearby? A necropsy could tell you why he died and help you with your grief and guilt. You mentioned this started after a feed. Did you feed frozen/thawed? It could very well have been spoiled rodent that wasn't properly processed by the distributor and that is not your fault.

I know you're hurting right now, but please don't compare yourself, clearly a responsible keeper, to "losers who buy a snake and release it into the wild..." You provided Mittens with a home, food and love and had made a commitment to being his forever keeper.