View Single Post
Old 07-28-18, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Iseitaku

Re: Snake freaking out when touched (help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
I agree with using tongs, but 100% disagree with the seoerate container.

Feed inside the enclosure. There are absolutely zero benefits of using a feeding tub.

Feeding in a separate tub
A) increases chances of a refusal due to stressing the snake prior to feeding
B) increases the chance of the snake regurgitating it's meal due to being moved and stressed after eating
C) increases the chance of you getting tagged, since the snake is still in feed mode when you try to move it back

The "food aggression" thing is a myth, proven false over years with thousands of animals.
I have NEVER been tagged inside any of my snake's enclosures. Never even struck at. I HAVE been tagged outside the enclosure.

If you're concerned with substrate impaction:
a) nobody cleans their food in the wild
b) if you're still concerned, lay a paper plate or cardboard down (not paper towel) even though the snake will likely drag the prey wherever it wants.
I have had them for about a year now and had no issues short of a one time occurrence but that was more my fault for having my friends crowded around showing Red eating a mouse. Never been tagged by them as they are VERY well behaved. The idea behind feeding them in a separate container is simply getting it ingrain into them that they don't eat in their home so you can reach in without worry of being bit. As for putting them back you simply don't touch them you tip the container so they harmlessly slide back into their tank and you don't need to touch them once.

However this all boils down to the snake's personality, some behave differently and require different methods.

In the end the thing to consider is that snakes are not like dogs which are domesticated and you can just approach as normal and pet and hold and they will be perfectly fine with it for the most part. Snakes are tamed NOT domesticated. No matter how much training you do they are still at their core wild animals and have their own isntincts and can NEVER be domesticated like dogs can. Snakes will follow their instincts the most which is why some snakes have their own behavior which you will have to adapt to if you cannot train them in that aspect.