View Single Post
Old 07-10-18, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
bigsnakegirl785

Re: Help confirm suriname

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom559 View Post
I will definitely be getting in touch with breeder to see what i can find out. What are the questions i should be asking? I've been looking at a lot of pictures of surinames in other close localities to him and he sure looks like a Surinam to me and I've yet to find a picture with markings on his tail like he has which I find strange. What kind of morphs do you know that are being produced from suris? I've been looking and I haven't seen many morphs just BCI crosses which I would really really like to avoid. I have been told that the father is an absolutely stunning Suriname specimen
Most locality breeders will have lineage information on multiple generations of pure Suriname breedings. Some may even have CITES paperwork. This isn't guaranteed that what you have is a Suriname, due to exportation practices in those countries and the way WC are handled here in the states, but is very promising. So, if you're wanting to know if the snake is pure (or as pure as we can guarantee), then you should be asking the breeder about how long they've been working with Suris, whether that particular snake was produced by them or not, and any information they can provide on its parents/grandparents/great-grandparents/etc.

His tail markings are quite average for a Suriname BCC, nothing out of the ordinary. Normals are quite variable in color and pattern.

There are no currently pure BCC morphs in captivity whatsoever. If a morph has BCC in it, it is a cross.

Some morphs, such as jungles, were originally found in BCC, but have been so heavily crossed into BI that there are no remaining pure individuals in captivity, and the BI blood far outweighs any BCC blood.

I see BCC most commonly crossed into albino/sunglow and hypo projects, where the red color, deeper blacks, and higher contrast compliments them well. I also see them sometimes used in pastel breedings, for much the same reasons, but pastels aren't morphs.
0.0.1 ball python Bud - 3.3 BI Cloud, sunglow Nymeria, ghost Tirel, anery motley Crona, ghost Howl, jungle Dominika - 2.0 garter snake eastern Demigod, checkered Draco - 0.1 retic Riverrun - RIP (Guin, Morzan, Sanji, and Homura - BRBs)
bigsnakegirl785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads