View Single Post
Old 06-12-18, 06:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
craigafrechette

Re: Is a supertank possible?

My two cents: that sort of setup would require more than one "expert" status keeper.

Please don't take this as rude, but my thoughts are that if you're asking such vague questions, you don't have the expertise to make it successful. But very few do. Very few.

In my opinion, that would require several years of working with each species before even considering whether or not that species might be an option as well as if you're qualified to keep them in a multi species enclosure.
It would require keeping each species separately, learning the species. Knowing their mannerisms, body language, etc...identifying signs of stress or illness.

Anything besides an expert level knowledge of each species would be irresponsible, in my opinion.

The fact that it's so expensive to set up and maintain (the humidity alone could literally destroy a house if not set up properly) probably prohibits a lot of amateur and intermediate keepers from trying this, thank goodness.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but there's a reason you pretty much only see these setups at zoos. They have an experienced team of herpetologists on hand to create these setups and a staff to maintain them under expert supervision.

It sounds super cool, but it's just not practical. And without the proper team and experience, it's irresponsible and unfair to the animals.
craigafrechette is offline   Reply With Quote