View Single Post
Old 02-10-18, 03:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Roman

Re: Want to build adult bioactive vivarium for brb

I use only metal halide lights or halogen lights as heat sources for my enclosures, from 25 W to 70 W depending on the size of the enclosure. The reasoning behind this is that they create a bright hot spot. Your snake associates warmth with light, so it will look for heat at the brightest spot in your enclosure.

For your enclosure I would use a LED light as long as your enclosure (4 ft) for the ambient light and for your plants. You need enough light in the blue and red spectrum for your plants, so look for a light with 6500k. For heat and UVB place a 70W UV emitting metal halide lamp on top of your enclosure over some mesh. This lamp will provide a heat spot of ca. 30°C/86°F and creates a thermal gradient to the other end of your enclosure where the temperature will be room temperature (or slightly higher). Here in Germany we have a brand of lights which also offers a “flood” version with a wider focus, so the heat and UVB are not tightly focused but a bit wider spread.

Whether you need any additional heating depending on your ambient room temperatures (especially during winter). If your temperatures doesn’t drop below ca. 21°C/70°F you shouldn’t need any additional heating, the warm substrate and the walls of the enclosure should prevent any drastic drop of your temperature during nighttime. Otherwise I would use a small RHP as backup heating.
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus