View Single Post
Old 01-14-18, 01:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
jjhill001

Re: carpet python afraid to come out

I'll be honest, it's not until they hit the 1 to 1 1/2 year old mark that they really start coming out of their hides. In another one of your threads you showed that youtuber without hides in his enclosure. The difference between his snakes and yours is that his snakes were largely adults. Adult snakes are much more confident and willing to come out of their hides regardless of species.

Personal story, I have 2 baird's rat snakes. Up until about 5 months ago they were in literally two exact enclosures with the same temps, same light, hides, everything. My female has been bold since she was about your snakes age. My male was a big chicken, rarely coming out of his hide ever. Well, now they are approaching 3 years of age my male is out crawling around every morning. My female doesn't even come out that much and she is a real showoff.

I would like to point out that I hold my snakes maybe once a month, if that. They don't bite and aren't afraid of me when I'm outside their cage (though they do watch me).

You'll find that with time your snake will come into it's own and be much more confident. Don't get too worked up about it, enjoy your snake while it's young and cute and it's food is still cheap!
jjhill001 is offline   Reply With Quote