View Single Post
Old 01-12-18, 12:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Roman

Re: Late Holiday Purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post
As far as I know snake don't like 4 side from glass. 1 side glass makes them feel much more secure.
Thank you very much. I will tell them immediately that they should go hiding in their cork tub instead of resting in their favorite branches. I am sure they just didnít know that they should feel insecure because they have unrestricted panorama view instead of a restricted perspective. The view from a treetop of a 30 m (100 ft) tree in Borneo is so restricted by other trees, the snakes would be confused or even frightened by the sight into my living room.

I always enjoy advice by new keepers who have their carpet python for less than 6 month, feed it fish and are wondering why a small, young snake stays in hiding most of the time. Itís so refreshing to get a new insight after keeping snakes for more than 30 years (and this particular species for more than 20 years Ė most of the time in this very enclosure).

For your continuing education, a full glass enclosure could be a problem if you have either a really young snake (which is very likely afraid of pretty much everything) reacting skittish, a snake new in this environment or probably in an environment with lots of movement all around the enclosure (like in a public place), so you can try to calm your snake by restricting the view on several sides of the enclosure until it acclimatized enough to stay calm. I keep my current trio in this enclosure since 2013 and they will watch me as calmly as I watch them, so I can assure you that for them this panoramic view is not a problem.

Roman
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote