View Single Post
Old 01-04-18, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Roman

Re: Late Holiday Purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
Helluva an enclosure!! Did you build that yourself or did you purchase it? And how much did it cost?

I'm thinking of something along this line (4'x2'x6')...
This enclosure should be fine, personally I would prefer if the enclosure would be a little deeper/wider (3 ft instead of 2 ft) to give the snake more room to keep itís distance to you and feel more secure, but the size should be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Really pretty enclosures Roman, I've yet to delve into the Asian rat snakes yet so I'll take your word for it on this particular species irascibility.

Did you get yours as babies? Did you make any concerted effort to tame them up?
I got my snakes as semi adults, they were about two years old when I got them. Usually I donít try to tame my snakes, with most of them it wouldnít do any good to begin with. They get used to the daily routine maintenance work, mainly the daily spraying of water. Most of my arboreal snakes (not specifically Gonyosoma) calm down after some time and donít flee or get defensive as soon as they see me. But trying to handle them on a regular basis would put them under stress, so I donít do it.

Sometimes my Gonyosoma will use my arm as a climbing branch during the water spaying, as long as they donít move to far from there I let them do it and move them carefully back into their enclosure when I am finished with spraying water. Occasionally I will get one snake out during feeding time when they start to work themselves up into a ďfeeding frenzyĒ, this snake will use my hand as a useful branch during eating.

So in other words, my snakes are used to my presence and are usually calm, but sometimes you get a nib anyway for no obvious reason.

Roman
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Roman is offline   Reply With Quote