View Single Post
Old 04-15-03, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Actually there are a lot of different veggies that have secondary compounds in them that inhibit the uptake of other nutrients... it would be important to consider what animal is eating this plant and etc. etc.etc..the whole nutrition thing....the pt. i am trying to make is that most of the time its not just accurate to look at one components and say whether it is "safe" for something to eat something else....
e.g. many plants contain their phosphorus in the form of phytic acid...which could bind to essential divalent minerals like Cu2+ and Zn2+ etc. etc...which then limits the amt. available for animal uptake...however if the animal has phytase (an enzyme), it would be capable of handling more phytic acid then one that does not. etc. etc. another example is tannin....i'm not going to expain that can read up abt. it..hahaha...
i think what BW smith may be talking abt. is oxalic acid..apparenly the ratio of calcium to oxalic acid should NEVER be more than 1:2 can say good bye to your animal...these are all forms of digestion/absorption inhibitors in plants..and only represent a portion of defences plants have to prevent being eaten by animals..
gosh...nutrition...gotta love it...sorry if i am rambling on..hahaha i think brocoli is okay...but i just had an exam on nutrition and all this stuff is still fresh in my head..hahahaha...
hope it was informative at least.
i think kale is okay...but if you find that it contains oxalic acid then i wouldn't feed them that too often (as in a regular basis) can cause a secondary calcium deficiency.