View Single Post
Old 09-13-17, 02:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
jjhill001

Re: What's the deal with scaleless snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD View Post
I still believe it's not the best to breed sibling among each other or the next generation back to the first. I get it why it's done, but one could just as well create major health issues with the same practice of getting an extra nice yellow (or whatever) animal because besides creating certain gene combinations for this yellow you could also simultaneously, and without knowing, create any unwanted and usually dormant genetic trait that has major drawbacks. At least we humans understand that you shouldn't mix blood, so it speak. It didn't just come out of nowhere or because civilization wanted it, there's plenty of research to back it up. Why would it be good to increase homozygosity in animals?
I think that the more complex the animal the more likely it is to cause major drawbacks. We're seeing tigers in captivity with downs syndrome for example.

But then again like mentioned before there are still small uncontacted island tribes with maybe a pool of 30 people or so still going strong after who knows how long so its definitely an interesting and complex subject.
jjhill001 is offline   Reply With Quote