View Single Post
Old 09-13-17, 07:25 AM   #36 (permalink)
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: What's the deal with scaleless snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scales.jp View Post
But breeding the best of the best from a certain locality isn't the same as breeding the offspring back to the parents, then their offspring back to the parents/grandparents, then the best looking offspring with each other, which is what happens. I'd rather it didn't, but maybe that's just because I don't know enough about genetics in reptile breeding. The 2014 CB Angolan python I'm in love with was almost certainly the result of inbreeding at some level just because there weren't really enough unrelated animals around for it to have been otherwise.
It actually does mean breeding parents/grandparents and more often, siblings to one another to enhance the traits selected.

I'm personally about trying to diversify when and where possible. Ball pythons actually are relatively genetically diverse compared to other species.

For decades we continually pulled wild caught animals from Africa for breeding new morphs or just because we needed normal females to breed our morph boys to. The morph craze gets a lot of flack but it actually helped in a number of ways.

It's only been in recent years that breeders are buying less and less wild caught or farmed normals to add to their collection.
Aaron_S is offline   Reply With Quote