View Single Post
Old 04-20-17, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
TRD

Re: Feeding questions

You will get to see if you're under of over feeding. Even a kingsnake can get fat or look 'skinny'... (f.e. you get to see a very clear change from body to tail section, or clearly see the spinal cord, which is abnormal for a kingsnake) slender, but round, and muscular, with an even looking body from nose to tail, is how he/she should be. Just like humans there are differences in metabolic rates between snakes, there's not a set in stone guide, just guidelines and best practices. Much depends on the snake and its environment.

F.e. my MBK and Nelsoni would eat every day if they got the chance, until they burst - my MBK literally gobbles down 2 mice in a row and sits in front of the window hoping for a 3rd. My Cali King on the other hand, even when very young, will not take more than 1 meal per week. My KSBs generally take a mouse every 14 to 21 days and will simply not eat more given the chance. My Eryx Miliaris and E. Conicus (same species as the KSB) on the other hand nearly jump out of their terrarium as soon as the door opens and easily take a mouse a week given the chance, but sometimes don't eat for a month.

Best is to observe how your snake is doing, and use the feeding schedules as a guideline only. With this I mean that if the guideline is around 7 days and your snake just fed... he/she will be resting to digest the meal for some days. After that he starts to be active again, hunting the terrarium. It does not mean that he should get food straight away, but if that happens after 5 days, then the 7 day schedule is likely fine, if that happens already after 3 days, then likely he needs a bit more or larger prey, or the same at a higher frequency. Also this will change once the snake matures. Watch their body structure, it's not too hard to see if your snake is under or overfed. Their appetite changes throughout the seasons (winter, spring, breeding seasons, etc) and throughout their lifetime as well (ie- growing fast between 0 and 3 years, then much slower - so less food required), observation is key and that will come after you have your snake and you get to know his behaviors - because also that is different per snake.

I wouldn't worry too much with a Kingsnake, they are very straight forward to keep and tend to have a good temperament as well in most cases.

Last edited by TRD; 04-20-17 at 06:53 PM..
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote