View Single Post
Old 01-01-17, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
riddick07

Re: Mites!!!! OMG we have mites!!!

I like Nix I've had to only treat once so far for mites and since then I've treated all new additions for mites and had no problems since. I also treat everything myself, clothes, car, carpet, shoes, and anything else I bought for mites after shows or a pet store.

Only the three have visual mites since that's where they started. Younger mites are not visible to the eye and mites travel very far in a short amount of time. If you have snakes in other rooms treat those too, plus mites can hitchhike on you or the cats. Mites can live awhile without eating so if you aren't treating the ground and around the cages even your clothes and anywhere you might have taken them they can come back months later to bother you again. Takes months to confirm if you are actually mite free once again.

Paper towels make it easier to check for them and treat. You can't treat all aspen or chips or dirt but you can soak a paper towel easily enough with the mite treatment. No where for mites to hide from the treatment in the cage. If you have big snakes it will be more difficult to treat since the mites can really get under the scales to hide.

Interesting article I found awhile ago on mites and their lifecycle.
The Life History of Snake Mites | Vida Preciosa International, Inc.
4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 0.1 Black Milk, 1.2 Corns, 1.3 Ball Python, 1.1 Tarahumara Boa, 3.7 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 4.2 Retics, 0.1 Wolf Snake, 1.1 BRB, 0.0.1 Jungle Carpet, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse