View Single Post
Old 04-10-03, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Greg West
Greg West's Avatar
Join Date: Oct-2002
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Age: 38
Posts: 729
Send a message via MSN to Greg West
Heres what I went by from the kinksnake site .

For Americans Exporting from the U.S.A. (Canadians should be familiar with these steps too)
All animals leaving or entering the USA must be inspected by US fish & wildlife This is generally done at what is known as a designated port. If you are not located at a designated port you must contact your local branch of USF&W and arrange an inspection. At this point a document called a 3-177 will be completed. It is a declaration of import/export of wildlife. This must be done with all animals regardless of whether they are listed under the Washington Convention (CITES).
It is also possible and fairly common to have animals shipped first to a designated port for inspection and clearance, before heading on to the consignee. This is done when the shipper or recipient in the US is not near a designated port. It can however, sometimes get complicated and expensive because a broker can be required to transfer the shipment and arrange for fish&wildlife inspection. This is especially true if different air carriers are involved since Airlines are not obliged to move your cargo, especially into the hands of a competitive Airline. So if you need to hire a broker this can mean that your animals are being put into the hands of a middle man who might very well hate herps(or love them and steal your shipment). It's a bit scary to have someone opening your animals in the middle of their journey to your customer.

If the animals are CITES listed and are Appendix 2 you need to apply To the US department of the interior/F&W for a CITES export permit. This must then be stamped by a wildlife agent at the time of the inspection otherwise the permit is not valid...
You will also now need (since I think bout 97) a US fish and wildlife IMPORT EXPORT license... you need to apply for it. It is $50.00 and is good for only one year. If you are not getting your inspection at a Designated port you may also be required to apply for what's called an "Exception to Designated Port"permit. It's about $25US bucks and is good for 2 years.

For Canadians taking animals into or out of the USA
If you are taking animals across the border in a car, you need to apply for and obtain this US fish and wildlife IMPORT EXPORT license... and yes also the exception from designated port permit if you have more than just a few animals.

You must phone US F&W in advance and arrange for an inspection 48 hrs before you cross. An agent will be dispatched to the crossing of your choice(See the list of Border Ports) . You will be charged for the inspection. $55US standard, more if its CITES or outside of business hours. A 3-177 declaration will need to be completed at the time of the inspection. I recommend pre ordering this form from USF&W and filling them out ahead of time. It makes the wildlife agents happy and you are more likely to know the Scientific names, which must be shown on the declaration. It's also helpful to take a book with pictures to help verify the species.

This is the way it went for me... I was wondering if this was still valid or if the rules have been changed. The way I read the new one, is if you were to cross the border buy a reptile in the States and bring it with you across the Canadian border you don't require anything in terms of paperwork or inspections. Not sure if this is what is correct or not.

Greg West
Cornelsworld Terrariums
Quality Customized Terrariums
Greg West is offline